Via our service, you may receive telehealth services of which the scope will depend on what state you are resident in; either teletriage or telemedicine. In order for a veterinarian to perform telemedicine services, there must be an established veterinary-client-patient-relationship (VCPR) unless it is an emergency circumstance. This typically means that the veterinarian has seen the patient in person, depending on the state within the past 12 months, and is familiar with the client and pet. Some states, however, allow a VCPR to be established virtually. A veterinarian may provide telemedicine based upon a VCPR established by another licensed medical professional, if the veterinarian has access to pre-existing medical records, provided by you or your veterinarian or practice.
We only provide telemedicine services in states where it would be VCPR compliant. In the other states, we only provide teletriage services. To find out which states we provide telemedicine services in, visit our Virtual Care FAQ.
When using our services, you will always see a licensed medical professional licensed in the state you have informed us that you reside in. It is therefore important that you always keep your profile updated with the accurate and correct details of your residency.
Our teletriage services involve the use of electronic communications to enable the exchange of general medical information between one of our licensed medical professionals and you when you log on to your appointment with us. Our teletriage services can provide timely assessment and management of your pet but, without a VCPR, we cannot provide a diagnosis, prescribe medications, or give a prognosis for your pet’s condition. We will be able to provide you with general advice and help with the triage of your pet’s injury or illness, to help you determine if your pet needs to be seen at an emergency clinic right away or if you can manage your pet’s condition at home.
Our telemedicine services involve the use of electronic communications to enable exchange of medical information between one of our licensed medical professionals and you when you log on to your appointment with us, and based on a VCPR (established virtually or otherwise as described above) or lack of VCPR requirements in your state, allowing the licensed medical professional to evaluate, provide a diagnosis, treatment (including prescription of medication where legally allowed) or provide a prognosis for your pet’s condition through virtual tools.
Expected benefits of teletriage and telemedicine
- Improved access to medical care by enabling a client and patient to remain at a remote site while the veterinarian obtains test results and consults from other veterinarians at distant/other sites;
- More efficient medical evaluation and management; and
- Obtaining expertise of a distant specialist.
Possible risks of teletriage and telemedicine
As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks associated with the use of teletriage and telemedicine. These risks include, but may not be limited to:
- Delays in medical evaluation and treatment could occur due to deficiencies or failures of the equipment;
- In rare cases, information transmitted may not be sufficient (e.g. poor resolution of images) to allow for appropriate medical decision making by the veterinarian and consultant(s);
- In rare cases, a lack of access to complete medical records may result in adverse drug interactions or allergic reactions or other judgment errors; and
- In rare instances, security protocols could fail, causing a breach of privacy of personal medical information.
Not a pharmacy
The Company is not a pharmacy and does not sell any prescription medications. Instead, the Company has entered into cooperations with pharmacies, who are able to deliver your pet’s medications right to your residence.
WHEN YOU CREATE, REGISTER OR LOG INTO AN ACCOUNT THROUGH THE SITE OR THE APP YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY ACKNOWLEDGING AND CONFIRMING THE FOLLOWING:
- I understand that the Company's delivery of the services will take place via the Site or App where I and the licensed medical professional are not in the same physical location. I understand that any advice given in the Service may be limited in the absence of in-person examination of my pet.
- I understand that I need to provide a full and accurate description of my pet’s condition and medical history, including any pre-existing conditions of my pet and any medications that my pet is taking to Company so that Company can accurately determine what services my pet needs.
- I understand that Company will determine whether telemedicine is appropriate for my appointment, based on my pet’s condition being diagnosed or treated. I also understand that I may reside in a state that only permits Company to provide teletriage services. In such states, the services will only be of teletriage nature, meaning that no diagnosis, prognosis or treatment of my pet will be provided. In states where it is VCPR compliant to provide telemedicine, the services may involve treatment or medical advice, including prescription of medication.
- I confirm that my profile is updated with correct and current details of my resident state and home address to provide information of which state I reside in. I will update my profile if my home address changes.
- I understand that I may expect the anticipated benefits for my pet from the use of the Company’s services, but that results cannot be guaranteed or assured. I further understand the risks of telehealth and waive any liability to Company or its licensed medical professionals.
- I understand that the Site and App is for non-emergency use only, and that I should visit an emergency room or call my primary veterinary clinic immediately if my pet is experiencing a medical emergency.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to contact my primary veterinarian and/or attend their clinic (or nearest emergency hospital) if my pet’s condition persists or deteriorates unexpectedly.
- I understand any prescriptions ordered and delivered to me by the Company and/or it’s partner pharmacy provider are prescribed only for, and may only be administered to, my pet. I acknowledge that such prescriptions are never for human use and I will administer any such prescriptions to my pet in accordance with the prescription.
- I understand that a variety of alternative methods of medical care may be available to my pet, and that I may choose one or more of these at any time, including telehealth via the Company’s services. I further understand that I have the right to withhold or withdraw my consent to the use of telehealth in the course of my pet’s care at any time, without affecting the pet’s right to future care or treatment.
- I understand that I have the right to inspect all information obtained and recorded in the course of the Company’s services and may receive copies of this information. The medical records from an appointment will be sent to my registered email address after the appointment is completed.
- I confirm that I have read and understood the information above and all of my questions have been answered to my satisfaction.