Speak to a vet within minutes

4.9 On the App Store 3600+ reviews

Your Rabbit’s Guide to Safe and Dangerous Plants to Eat

toxic and safe plants rabbit

Rabbits are so curious and love to taste new things. In the wild, they would learn what foods are safe and which ones are not from other older rabbits. However, our pets don’t have that advantage. The list of toxic plants is extensive and this list, while large, does not cover every toxic plant. It’s safer to learn which plants are safe to feed your bunny and stick with those! Keep reading to learn what plants to avoid and which plants are safe to feed your rabbit.

Plants Toxic to Rabbits: Definitely Avoid These!

  • Acacia twigs and flowers
  • Anemone
  • Antirrhinum
  • Apricot twigs and seed kernels
  • Arum
  • Azalea - twigs and all parts
  • Beans - any type
  • Beech twigs
  • Big wort
  • Bindweed
  • Bluebell
  • Box Elder
  • Brugmansia (aka Angel Trumpet)
  • Bryony
  • Bulb plants - best to avoid them all
  • Buttercup
  • Celandine
  • Cherry twigs, stems and seeds (fruit flesh is safe)
  • Christmas Rose
  • Clematis twigs
  • Columbine
  • Convolvulus (aka Morning Glory)
  • Corn cockle
  • Crocus
  • Daffodil
  • Dahlia
  • Delphinium (aka Larkspur)
  • Dogs Mercury
  • Elder twigs
  • Evergreens
  • Feverfew
  • Flowering Elder
  • Fool’s Parsley
  • Foxglove
  • Gypsophilia (aka Baby’s Breath)
  • Hemlock
  • Henbane (aka Stinking Nightshade)
  • Holly twigs
  • Hyacinth
  • Iris
  • Ivy-any part
  • Kingcup
  • Laburnum twigs
  • Lilly of the Valley
  • Lobelia
  • Love-in-a-mist
  • Lupine
  • Meadow Saffron
  • Milkweed
  • Mistle Toe
  • Monkshood flowers
  • Narcissus
  • Nightshade
  • Nux Vomica
  • Oak twigs
  • Oleander-all parts
  • Peach seed kernels and twigs
  • Periwinkle
  • Plum twigs, seeds, and leaves (fruit flesh is fine)
  • Poppy
  • Primrose
  • Ragwort
  • Rhododendron
  • Rhubarb
  • Roseweed
  • Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Snowberry
  • Snowdrop
  • Spindleberry
  • Sprouts-potato
  • Spurge
  • Thorn Apple
  • Toadflax
  • Tomato-leaves
  • Traveler’s oy
  • Tulip
  • Wax plant
  • Wisteria
  • Wood Sorrel
  • Yew

Safe Foods to Feed Rabbits

Rabbits eat throughout the day and are happier and healthier when they have a variety of foods to eat. Assume all houseplants are likely toxic, so keep them out of reach of your bunny. However, many things you can grow in the garden are fine to share!

Your rabbit should be eating a diet made up of at least 75% hay. Then the remaining 25% of the diet is split between veggies and small volumes of fruit and pellets.

A rabbit should have access to about 1 cup of fresh greens per 2-2.5 pounds of body weight daily. Be sure to introduce these greens gradually and slowly increase the volume to allow their GI tract and get used to the new foods.

Safe Plants to Share with Your Rabbit:

  • Alfalfa sprouts
  • Arugula
  • Asparagus
  • Basil
  • Beet Greens
  • Bok Choy
  • Broccoli, leaves, and stems
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Chinese cabbage
  • Carrots and carrot tops
  • Celery
  • Chard, Swiss
  • Chicory Greens
  • Coriander/Cilantro
  • Cress, Garden
  • Dandelion Greens
  • Dill leaves
  • Eggplant
  • Endive
  • Fennel (leaves and base)
  • Flowers - roses, pansies, hibiscus, nasturtiums, aster, carnation, geranium, marigolds, sunflower
  • Grass - must be grazed on while still growing; do NOT feed grass clippings to your rabbit!
  • Hay - timothy, orchard, oat, brome, alfalfa (if young, growing, pregnant, or nursing)
  • Jerusalem Artichoke
  • Kale
  • Kohlrabi
  • Lettuce - romaine (darker leafy green lettuce varieties are best)
  • Lettuce - red or green
  • Mint
  • Mustard Greens
  • Mustard Spinach
  • Okra
  • Parsley
  • Peppers-Bell, any color
  • Radishes and leaves
  • Raspberry leaves
  • Spinach
  • Summer Squash
  • Turnips and greens
  • Zucchini
  • Watercress
  • Wheatgrass


  • Apple, cherries, peach, plum, mango, apricot, nectarines (no stems or seeds for these fruits as they are toxic in large volumes)
  • Papaya
  • Kiwi
  • Pineapple
  • Melons
  • Banana (no peel)
  • Star fruit
  • Strawberry

Read more:

Rabbit Nutrition: How to feed your pet rabbit

Do Rabbits Make Good Pets?

Rabbit Housing Tips

Need to speak with a veterinarian regarding your rabbit's diet or another condition?

Click here to schedule a video consult to speak to one of our vets. You can also download the FirstVet app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Stores.

More articles about rabbit

Are you concerned about your pet?

Book a video consultation with an experienced veterinarian within minutes.

Get started
  • Low-cost video vet consultations, 24 hours a day Low-cost video vet consultations, 24 hours a day
  • Experienced, licensed vets Experienced, licensed vets
  • Over 700,000 satisfied pet owners Over 700,000 satisfied pet owners

Speak to a vet within minutes

4.9 On the App Store 3600+ reviews