Granbarr kanin

Help! My rabbit has eaten needles from our Christmas tree, is it dangerous?

During the festive season many of us will have a Christmas tree at home. It is not uncommon for curious rabbits to take the opportunity to investigate the branches if they are within reach. But what really happens if a rabbit happens to eat pine needles? Read what our vet answers about one of the most common questions that rabbit owners have during the Christmas season here!

This article was written by a FirstVet vet


Did you know that FirstVet offers video calls with experienced, UK registered vets? You can get a consultation within 30 minutes by downloading the FirstVet app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.


✓ Included free as part of many pet insurance policies
✓ Help, treatment and if you need it, a referral to your local vet
✓ Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year


Question

My rabbit has eaten pine needles from our Christmas tree! Is it dangerous?

Our vet answers

Ordinary pine needles are not dangerous for rabbits, although they are typically sharp and spiky. However, it is important to consider that some commercially grown varieties may be heavily sprayed with chemicals. Therefore, it is not recommended to feed parts of the Christmas tree to your rabbits. Also be aware of similar tree species, such as yew, which is toxic to most animals.

In general, rabbits are very good at sorting out things that are toxic or unsuitable to eat. Cases of poisoning are therefore thankfully uncommon in rabbits.

When to contact a vet?

  • If you are worried about your rabbit, always contact a vet

At FirstVet, you can always get help with an initial assessment of your animal. Here you can book a video appointment to have a chat with one of our FirstVet vets for advice, treatment, and if necessary, referral to your local vet.

More articles about Rabbit