How to give your dog eye drops
Does your dog have an eye problem that needs to be treated with eye drops? Here are some tips and advice to help you give the drops safely and effectively.
This article was written by a FirstVet vet
Did you know that FirstVet offers video calls with experienced, UK registered vets? If you are insured with one of our pet insurance partners, your video calls are completely free. You can get a consultation within 30 minutes by downloading the FirstVet app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Start by washing your hands so that you don’t accidentally bring dirt or bacteria near your dog’s eyes.
- Support your dog’s head with one hand under the chin. With the same hand, use your thumb to gently pull down the lower eyelid to create a small pocket.
- Take the bottle of eye drops in the other hand and rest your hand against the dog’s head before applying the drops to the eye. Avoid touching the eye with the applicator tip.
- Gently release the eye and allow it to close, which will spread the treatment across the eye. Give your dog a small treat as a reward.
- Dry the area around the eye with a cotton pad.
Still have questions?
Book a video appointment to have a chat with one of our vets.