Ask a veterinarian - Dog

Is saffron poisonous to dogs?

Vet at FirstVet answers:

Unfortunately, it is  not known exactly how poisonous saffron is to dogs. Scientific evidence suggests that it can be both very toxic, and non-toxic. Recent research, however, suggests that saffron is less toxic in small amounts.If a dog ingests very large amounts of the spice, or the essential oil, it can cause poisoning. Your dog may show signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, behavioural changes, lethargy, incoordination, anaemia and low blood pressure. However, it is very unusual for dogs to manage to ingest large enough amounts of the spice to cause a problem.So you probably do not have to worry if the dog has eaten a single packet of saffron (0.5g). It is always a good idea to contact a vet for advice if your dog has eaten saffron and is starting to show signs!