How to Clean Your Dog's Ears
Does your dog have problems with its ears? Has your vet recommended routine ear cleaning for your dog? Or perhaps you’d just like to add ear cleaning to your dog’s regular grooming routine!Here are some tips and advice on how to clean your dog’s ears safely and effectively.
This article was written by a FirstVet vet
Did you know that FirstVet offers video calls with experienced vets? You can get a consultation within 30 minutes by downloading the FirstVet app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
When cleaning your dog’s ears, choose a location you don’t mind getting slightly wet or messy. The bathroom, or even outside in the yard is a great place to do this.
Try to make the cleaning as enjoyable and stress-free for your dog as possible. Enlist the help of another person if necessary. You might even offer your dog a treat or her favorite toy while she’s getting her ears cleaned.
1. Gently lift and hold the ear flap upwards.
2. Fill the ear canal with a pet-specific ear cleaning solution.
3. Continue holding the ear flap while you gently massage the base of the ear with the other hand. This helps to spread the ear cleaner around in the ear canal.
4. Using a clean cotton ball or tissue, wipe away any debris that comes out of the ear canal. Note: do not use cotton swabs, or insert anything into the ear canal, as this can easily damage the eardrum.
5. Release the ear flap. Please be aware that your dog may want to shake its head at this point, and things can get messy!
6. Praise your dog and give a treat before switching to the other ear. If your dog is stressed, you can always clean the other ear tomorrow.
7. Finish by washing your hands.
Still have questions?
Book a video appointment to chat with one of our vets.