Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: Cyclamen
Cyclamen, also called Sowbread, are small, flowering plants often used in landscaping over the winter and spring seasons. They come with red, white, and pink flower varieties. Continue reading to learn about the signs and treatment for cyclamen toxicity in dogs and cats.
This article was written by a FirstVet vet
Did you know that FirstVet offers video calls with experienced vets? You can get a consultation within 30 minutes by downloading the FirstVet app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
What Makes Cyclamen Toxic to Pets?
Cyclamens contain terpenoid saponins, which is the toxic component. All parts of the plant contain this, but the tubers (the part underground) has the largest amount and is the most toxic. Luckily, a large amount of the tuber (roots) needs to be ingested for serious symptoms to develop.
Clinical Symptoms of Cyclamen Toxicity in Dogs and Cats
- Drooling (hypersalivation)
- Reduced Appetite
- Abnormal heartbeat – with large amounts of tuber ingestion
- Seizures – with large amounts of tuber ingestion
- Death – with large amounts of tuber ingestion
What do I do if my dog ate a cyclamen plant?
Luckily, dogs and cats rarely ingest the tubers and just chew on the leaves and flowers. This will typically cause mild stomach upset and mouth irritation that should resolve in under 24 hours.
You can rinse the mouth with water to reduce irritation. Remove food and water for a few hours to allow the GI tract to settle down. Then give small amounts of food and water over the course of the day. Resume normal meals the next day if your pet is doing better and is no longer vomiting.
**If you have a horse or a goat that ingested many of these plants, including the tubers (roots), call your vet since they are at risk for more severe issues and it may be fatal.
For more information and pictures of cyclamen, check out these links:
Read more in our series of plants that are toxic to dogs and cats:
Still have questions?
Schedule a video consult to chat with one of our vets.