Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: Cyclamen Cyclamen, also called Sowbread, are small, flowering plants often used in landscaping over the winter and spring seasons. They come with red, white, and pink flower varieties. Continue reading to learn about the signs and treatment for cyclamen toxicity in dogs and cats. What Makes Cyclamen Toxic to Pets? Clinical Symptoms of Cyclamen Toxicity in Dogs and Cats What do I do if my dog ate a cyclamen plant? For more information and pictures of cyclamen, check out these links: Read more in our series of plants that are toxic to dogs and cats: Need to speak with a veterinarian regarding poisonous plants and your pet or another condition? Are you concerned about your pet?Book a video consultation with an experienced veterinarian within minutes.Professional vet advice onlineLow-cost video vet consultationsOpen 24 hours a day, 365 days a year Book Video Consultation What Makes Cyclamen Toxic to Pets?Cyclamens contain terpenoid saponins, which is the toxic component. All parts of the plant contain this, but the tubers (the part underground) has the largest amount and is the most toxic. Luckily, a large amount of the tuber (roots) needs to be ingested for serious symptoms to develop.Clinical Symptoms of Cyclamen Toxicity in Dogs and CatsDrooling (hypersalivation)VomitingDiarrheaReduced AppetiteAbnormal heartbeat – with large amounts of tuber ingestionSeizures – with large amounts of tuber ingestionDeath – with large amounts of tuber ingestionWhat do I do if my dog ate a cyclamen plant?Luckily, dogs and cats rarely ingest the tubers and just chew on the leaves and flowers. This will typically cause mild stomach upset and mouth irritation that should resolve in under 24 hours.You can rinse the mouth with water to reduce irritation. Remove food and water for a few hours to allow the GI tract to settle down. Then give small amounts of food and water over the course of the day. Resume normal meals the next day if your pet is doing better and is no longer vomiting.**If you have a horse or a goat that ingested many of these plants, including the tubers (roots), call your vet since they are at risk for more severe issues and it may be fatal.For more information and pictures of cyclamen, check out these links:ASPCA: CyclamenPet Poison HelplineRead more in our series of plants that are toxic to dogs and cats:Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: AzaleaPoisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: LantanaPoisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: Lily of the ValleyNeed to speak with a veterinarian regarding poisonous plants and your pet or another condition?Click here to schedule a video consult to speak to one of our vets. You can also download the FirstVet app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Stores.