Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: Oleander
Oleanders are beautiful flowering plants that can grow incredibly large. Oleanders are commonly used in landscaping along fences for privacy and for their beauty. Unfortunately, the Oleander plant is toxic for all mammals, including dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, goats, and pigs. It can even be toxic to tortoises. Continue reading to learn about the signs of Oleander poisoning and what to do if your dog or cat may have eaten parts of the plant.
This article was written by a FirstVet vet
Did you know that FirstVet offers video calls with experienced vets? You can get a consultation within 30 minutes by downloading the FirstVet app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
What makes Oleanders toxic to dogs and cats?
Oleanders contain a cardiac glycoside called oleandrin. All parts of the plant are toxic and only small volumes need to be eaten by your dog or cat to cause illness.
There are reports of animals becoming gravely ill by ingesting a few leaves, by eating meat that was cooked on a skewer of oleander, or drinking water that had oleander leaves or flowers in it.
Clinical Symptoms of Oleander Poisoning
- Drooling aka hypersalivation
- Abdominal pain
- Weakness from low blood sugar
- Heart rate and rhythm abnormalities
What should I do if my pet ate Oleander?
Bring your pet to your veterinarian or nearest emergency clinic right away since this plant is so toxic. Your vet can give your dog or cat activated charcoal to help bind the toxins that are in the GI tract. Your pet will likely need to be on IV fluids to support their cardiovascular system and may need additional support to maintain their blood sugar levels. Your pet may also need medications to help with an abnormal heart rate or rhythm.
For more information and pictures of Oleander, check out these links:
Read more in our series of poisonous plants for your dog and cat:
Still have questions?
Schedule a video consult to chat with one of our vets.