Are Poinsettia’s Really Toxic to Dogs and Cats?Poinsettia, Euphorbia pulcherrima, are very common plants during the winter holiday season. New plants indoors and outdoors are tempting for our pets and many will ingest the leaves. Luckily, this plant has a very low risk of toxicity! Keep reading to learn about the signs and treatment of poinsettia poisoning in pets.Are you concerned about your pet?Book a video consultation with an experienced veterinarian within minutes. Rating: 4.9 - more than 1600 reviewsRating: 4.9 - more than 1300 reviewsRating: 4.9 - more than 1600 reviews Download app What part of the Poinsettia pant is toxic to dogs and cats?The poinsettia plant contains a milky white sap that is irritating when ingested.This sap is found in the branches and leaves.What happens if my pet ingests parts of the Poinsettia plant?The irritating sap can cause discomfort in the mouth and continue further down the GI tract.Symptoms you may see include:DroolingVomitingDiarrheaReduced appetiteLethargyThese symptoms are usually mild and resolve without treatment.What should I do if my pet ingests Poinsettia?Since the sap is mainly a GI (stomach and intestinal) irritant, removing access to the food and water bowl for a few hours is usually long enough to allow the vomiting to subside. Then you can give your pet small volumes of food and water over the rest of the day. This just prevents them from eating or drinking a large amount right away which can cause further vomiting.If your pet continues to vomit or just doesn’t seem to feel well after a few hours, you may need to take them to the vet to ensure nothing else was ingested, such as tinsel, a Christmas tree ornament, or tasty baked good. The holiday season is full of new things and not all items are good for your pet’s GI tract!Read more in our series of poisonous plants for cats and dogs:Poisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: CyclamenPoisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: TulipsPoisonous Plants for Dogs and Cats: PhilodendronStill have questions?Schedule a video consult to chat with one of our vets.