Coffee and Other Caffeine Dangers for Dogs
Products containing caffeine are in essentially every household. But that doesn’t mean they’re safe foods for dogs to eat. In the article, we’ll explain what types of caffeinated foods your pet must avoid and what to do if they show signs of caffeine toxicity.
This article was written by a FirstVet vet
Did you know that FirstVet offers video calls with experienced vets? You can get a consultation within 30 minutes by downloading the FirstVet app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
What types of caffeinated foods are toxic to dogs?
Essentially any product containing caffeine should be avoided, but pay close attention to these items:
- energy drinks
- diet pills
- chocolate covered coffee beans
While we might need a cup or three of coffee to get going in the morning, your pet does not!
What makes caffeine harmful to dogs?
Caffeine and theobromine are types of methylxanthines. Caffeine is a stimulant and so is theobromine, which is found in chocolates.
If dogs ingest 9mg per pound of bodyweight of caffeine or theobromine, they can develop clinical symptoms. Symptoms get more severe at doses of 18mg per pound of body weight. Since most teas and coffees are much lower than this in caffeine, if your pet steals a sip/lick out of your drink, they will probably be OK.
It’s the tasty chocolate, diet pills, or NoDos type pills that have higher levels of theobromine or caffeine present and can cause severe illness with low levels of ingestion. Dark and baker’s chocolate are the worst with the highest levels present.
Please see our article on Chocolate Toxicity for more information.
Clinical Symptoms of Caffeine Toxicity in Dogs
Clinical symptoms of overdoses of caffeine and theobromine are due to the stimulant nature. Examples include:
- Rapid heart rate (dogs should have a resting heart rate of 120 beats per minute or less)
- Abnormal heart rhythm (times of rapid, then slowing heartbeats or missed heartbeats)
- Muscle tremors
- Increased vocalization
- Pancreatitis if the ingested item is also high in sugar
What should I do if my dog ate food containing caffeine?
If your pet ingested a caffeine-containing product or chocolate and you’re unsure how much, what type, or when it occurred, it’s best to bring your pet into the vet immediately. Your vet can safely induce vomiting and perform a complete exam, listen to the heart, check the blood pressure, and treat any symptoms that may be present. Be sure to bring any package labels, candy wrappers, and pill bottles with you so they can get a better idea of what was eaten and how much toxin may have been ingested.
Caffeine and theobromine can take DAYS to be fully eliminated from the system, so removing as much as possible via vomiting, giving medications to absorb remaining toxins, and possibly giving your pet IV fluids to help them “flush out their system” and urinate often will help and can be lifesaving!
Your pet may also need medications to reduce their blood pressure, control seizures and tremors, reduce nausea and diarrhea, and keep them calm.
Have more questions about foods that are poisonous for dogs?
Schedule a video consult to chat with one of our vets.